Use the comment section for this post to engage in a discussion of Octavia Butler’s short story “Bloodchild.”
To see your requirements and parameters for our discussion, see our Reading/Discussing Short Stories guidelines. Strive for a vigorous exchange, including debating differing interpretations, but always strive for mutual recognition of each other, working toward enhancing our collective understanding of the story.
Watch your period’s group presentation on the story and see the DQs below, if you are looking for inspiration.
- What binaries are created through the dependence of the Terrans on T’Gatoi? How are they created?
- What are some parallels you can find between the Preserve and the role of T’Gatoi in their home? What rhetoric does Octavia Butler use to portray these parallels?
- To what extension is this a story about self-sacrifice and familial bonds?
- One of the main themes of the story is the interdependence of two very different species. What is an example of a similar interdependence in your own life?
- On page 28 and 29, Gan responds to T’Gatoi’s statement about protecting terrans by saying,“‘ Not protected,’ I said. ‘Shown. Shown when we’re young kids, and shown more than once.’” To what extent do you agree with Gan’s statement? Can this same sentiment be applied to our education system and how we expose kids to the evils of the world?
- What type of planet do you think they live on? What do you think the land/environment looks like?
- What would you do if put in the same position as Gan? Would you fufill your “duty” even if you personally did not want to?
- Would you trust someone who took care of you like Qui, his brother or a someone like T’Gatoi?
- Have you had a person in your life that is as selfless as Gan and Gan’s mother?
- How important is family to you?
- How could humans come to be dominated by this species?
- Why do the aliens have such human personalities and why do some have so much empathy for the humans?
- Does the mother refusing the eggs imply that she wants to die?
- Is the preserve the only place where humans are living or do they exist in other parts of this world?